CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMITS
Concealed handgun permits are issued through the Circuit Court in the locality where the applicant resides, or if you are active duty military, the locality where the applicant is domiciled. The applicant must be at least 21 years of age and provide proof that he or she is competent to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to Virginia Code Section 18.2-308(G). Permits are good for five (5) years and should be renewed at least forty-five (45) days prior to expiration.
Process to obtain a Concealed Handgun Permit:
1. Obtain an application on this page by clicking the Concealed Handgun Permit or through the Department of State Police Web site.
2. Submit your application, a copy of your valid photo identification, and approved certificate of training for handgun safety to the Clerk of the Circuit Court along with a nonrefundable fee of $50.
3. The completed application is then sent to the Middlesex Sheriff’s Office for the required criminal history background check.
4. If the Circuit Court Judge approves your application, he will enter an order instructing the Clerk to issue the permit.
5. The permit will be mailed to you at the address you provided on your application. When you receive the permit, remember to sign the card where indicated and carry it along with your valid photo identification. We suggest that you laminate the permit.
If your permit is denied, the specific reasons for the denial will be stated in the Court’s order, and the Clerk shall provide the applicant with notice, in writing of his or her right to a hearing before the Court.