Solid Waste/Trash Disposal/Convenience Centers/Recycling


The Virginia Peninsulas Public Service Authority (VPPSA) provides residents and businesses in the Counties of Essex, King & Queen, King William, Mathews, and Middlesex a full range of solid waste services. The VPPSA system includes four transfer stations and 15 convenience centers located throughout the five-county region on the Middle Peninsula, including the three Middlesex County-operated sites at Jamaica, Hartfield, and Deltaville and the Transfer Station site at Stormont.

The Convenience Centers at Jamaica, Hartfield, and Deltaville accept HOUSEHOLD TRASH only.  Brush, yard debris, and other items must go to the Stormont Transfer Station site.   Tree limbs, lumber, etc., must be cut to 4-foot lengths before being transported to the Stormont site.  If you have questions regarding items you are transporting, please call the Stormont Transfer Station site at 804-758-0542 or the Stormont Office at 804-758-1900.

See descriptions below for items accepted at certain locations.

View Chart for complete listing of services offered at each location            

BATTERIES: Old automobile batteries (lead-acid) may be placed on wooden pallets at the site. Rechargeable household batteries (nickel cadmium, nickel metal hydride, and lithium Ion) are also accepted, and can be dropped off with the site attendant.

BRUSH: Brush may be placed in the trash compactors but cannot be more than four feet long (Stormont location only).

COOKING OIL: Cooking oil is accepted from residents only, in quantities of 5 gallons or less. Do not mix the oil with anything else. Leave used cooking oil with the site attendant.

OIL & ANTIFREEZE: Antifreeze and used motor oil are accepted from residents only, in quantities of 5 gallons or less. Do not mix these liquids with anything else. Leave used oils and antifreeze with the site attendant.

RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES AND CELL PHONES: Rechargeable household batteries (nickel cadmium, nickel metal hydride, and lithium Ion) and cell phones can be dropped off with the site attendant.

SCRAP METAL & WHITE GOODS: Place in the scrap metal container as directed by the attendant. Refrigerators and freezers must have doors removed before being placed in the container.

TIRES: Limit of 12 tires per year, per resident, please remove rim


Acceptable Waste:

The following will be accepted at the transfer station:

  • Household waste from residents and property owners of Middlesex County.
  • Business waste from small businesses in Middlesex County with limitations and restrictions described below.
  • Small loads, defined as a water level full pick-up truck, of construction and demolition waste from contractors generated from projects in Middlesex County with a valid building permit, issued by Middlesex County (limited to one load per permit).
  • Tires that are split lengthwise

Unacceptable Waste:

  • Liquids
  • Loads of soil, brick or stone
  • Hazardous waste
  • Asbestos
  • Industrial process waste
  • Tires from commercial establishments
  • Sawdust
  • Large tree trunks and stumps
  • Large animal carcasses
  • Any material greater than 4 feet in length


  • CARDBOARD: Please place all cardboard in the Cardboard Container.
  • METAL, GLASS & PLASTIC: Please place items all together in the Co-Mix Container.




Metal cans
 Aluminum cans
 Aluminum foil products (be sure to rinse and remove all residue)

Glass jars & bottles
 Clear, brown or green glass is accepted. Rinse and remove lids. Metal lids can be recycled.

Plastic bottles and jugs (#1 and #2 only). Rinse and remove all residue. Remove and throw away lids.

Notes on Plastic: Do not recycle motor oil bottles, other automotive fluid bottles, or pesticide bottles. These types of fluids bond with the plastic so the containers are no longer recyclable.

MIXED PAPER: Please place these items in the Mixed Paper Container:

Mixed Paper

Newspapers and inserts
 Junk Mail
 Cereal boxes
 Paper grocery bags

Brochure of Drop-Off Recycling Program Guidelines

Mixed Paper Recycling for Businesses Brochure

Brochure for 2022 Household Chemical and Computer Recycling Events on the Middle Peninsula 

2022 Middle Peninsula Chemical Collections 

King & Queen County                                                                     
Middle Peninsula Regional Airport                                                 
1000 Airport Road
 Mattaponi 23110
 8:00 AM – 12:00 Noon 
April 16, 2022

Middlesex County
Middlesex Elementary School
823 Philpot Road
Locust Hill 23092
8:00 AM – 12:00 Noon
August 20, 2022 

Acceptable Materials during a chemical collection event are those typically found in a home environment, and include products such as the following:

Household Maintenance: Oil paint, Latex paint, Stains, Solvents, Glue, Varnishes, Adhesives

Automotive: Gasoline and other fuels (less than 50 gallons), Waxes, Gas/oil mixtures, Brake fluid, Engine cleaner (Motor oil and antifreeze are ONLY accepted at events held in the City of Hampton. The remaining communities provide other options, please click HERE for more information.)

Lawn & Garden: Insecticides, Weed killers, Pesticides. Fertilizers, Pest Strips

Household Cleaning: Oven cleaners, Drain cleaners, Floor waxes and cleaners, Metal polishes or jewelry cleaners, Bleach, Degreasers, Septic tank cleaners, toilet cleaners

Miscellaneous: Charcoal fluids, Dyes, Kerosene, Swimming pool chemicals, Photo finishing chemicals, Rechargeable Batteries, Fluorescent Light Bulbs (including CFL’s)

Unacceptable Materials:

  • TVs
  • Alkaline Batteries
  • Medications
  • Business or Medical Waste
  • Explosives
  • Shock sensitive materials
  • Radioactive products
  • Large quantities of unknown materials
  • Ammunition
  • Gun Powder
  • Household Trash
  • Large drums of material

What to do with Latex Paint:

  • If the paint is old and dry, you can leave the lid off and dispose of in your regular trash.
  • If the paint is still a liquid, you can add kitty litter or other absorbent material such as sawdust or mulch and stir it well until it becomes very thick and will not drip or run. Once you’ve done this, you can leave the lid off and dispose of it in your regular trash. Please note: this ONLY APPLIES to latex (water-based) paint.

Computer-related items accepted for recycling are limited to the following:

  • Desktop and laptop computers
  • Servers
  • Monitors (both LCD and CRT types)
  • Computer wiring
  • Desktop printers including multi-function printers, or “all in ones”
  • Fax machines
  • Desktop photocopiers and scanners
  • Cell phones