Solid Waste/Trash Disposal/Convenience Centers/Recycling
THE MIDDLE PENINSULA SOLID WASTE SYSTEM
The Virginia Peninsulas Public Service Authority (VPPSA) provides residents and businesses in the Counties of Essex, King & Queen, King William, Mathews, and Middlesex a full range of solid waste services. The VPPSA system includes four transfer stations and 15 convenience centers located throughout the five-county region on the Middle Peninsula, including the three Middlesex County-operated sites at Jamaica, Hartfield, and Deltaville and the Transfer Station site at Stormont.
The Convenience Centers at Jamaica, Hartfield, and Deltaville accept HOUSEHOLD TRASH only. Brush, yard debris, and other items must go to the Stormont Transfer Station site. Tree limbs, lumber, etc., must be cut to 4-foot lengths before being transported to the Stormont site. If you have questions regarding items you are transporting, please call the Stormont Transfer Station site at 804-758-0542 or the Stormont Office at 804-758-1900.
See descriptions below for items accepted at certain locations.
BATTERIES: Old automobile batteries (lead-acid) may be placed on wooden pallets at the site. Rechargeable household batteries (nickel cadmium, nickel metal hydride, and lithium Ion) are also accepted, and can be dropped off with the site attendant.
BRUSH: Brush may be placed in the trash compactors but cannot be more than four feet long (Stormont location only).
COOKING OIL: Cooking oil is accepted from residents only, in quantities of 5 gallons or less. Do not mix the oil with anything else. Leave used cooking oil with the site attendant.
OIL & ANTIFREEZE: Antifreeze and used motor oil are accepted from residents only, in quantities of 5 gallons or less. Do not mix these liquids with anything else. Leave used oils and antifreeze with the site attendant.
RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES AND CELL PHONES: Rechargeable household batteries (nickel cadmium, nickel metal hydride, and lithium Ion) and cell phones can be dropped off with the site attendant.
SCRAP METAL & WHITE GOODS: Place in the scrap metal container as directed by the attendant. Refrigerators and freezers must have doors removed before being placed in the container. STORMONT LOCATION ONLY
TIRES: Limit of 12 tires per year, per resident, please remove rim
The following will be accepted at the transfer station:
- Household waste from residents and property owners of Middlesex County.
- Business waste from small businesses in Middlesex County with limitations and restrictions described below.
- Small loads, defined as a water level full pick-up truck, of construction and demolition waste from contractors generated from projects in Middlesex County with a valid building permit, issued by Middlesex County (limited to one load per permit).
- Tires that are split lengthwise
- Loads of soil, brick or stone
- Hazardous waste
- Industrial process waste
- Tires from commercial establishments
- Large tree trunks and stumps
- Large animal carcasses
- Any material greater than 4 feet in length
- CARDBOARD: Please place all corrugated cardboard in the Cardboard Container.
- METAL, GLASS & PLASTIC: Please place items all together in the Co-Mix Container.
Glass jars & bottles
Plastic bottles and jugs (#1 and #2 only). Rinse and remove all residue. Remove and throw away lids.
Notes on Plastic: Do not recycle motor oil bottles, other automotive fluid bottles, or pesticide bottles. These types of fluids bond with the plastic so the containers are no longer recyclable.
MIXED PAPER: Please place these items in the Mixed Paper Container:
Newspapers and inserts
2023 Middle Peninsula Schedule of Events
King William County
April 15, 2023
King William High School
80 Cavalier Drive
King William, VA
8:00 AM – 12:00 Noon
August 19, 2023
Star Fields LLC
2905 Buckley Hall Road
Cobbs Creek, VA
8:00 AM – 12:00 Noon
Acceptable Materials during a chemical collection event are those typically found in a home environment, and include products such as the following:
Household Maintenance: Oil paint, Latex paint, Stains, Solvents, Glue, Varnishes, Adhesives
Automotive: Gasoline and other fuels (less than 50 gallons), Waxes, Gas/oil mixtures, Brake fluid, Engine cleaner (Motor oil and antifreeze are ONLY accepted at events held in the City of Hampton. The remaining communities provide other options, please click HERE for more information.)
Lawn & Garden: Insecticides, Weed killers, Pesticides. Fertilizers, Pest Strips
Household Cleaning: Oven cleaners, Drain cleaners, Floor waxes and cleaners, Metal polishes or jewelry cleaners, Bleach, Degreasers, Septic tank cleaners, toilet cleaners
Miscellaneous: Charcoal fluids, Dyes, Kerosene, Swimming pool chemicals, Photo finishing chemicals, Rechargeable Batteries, Fluorescent Light Bulbs (including CFL’s)
- Alkaline Batteries
- Business or Medical Waste
- Shock sensitive materials
- Radioactive products
- Large quantities of unknown materials
- Gun Powder
- Household Trash
- Large drums of material
What to do with Latex Paint:
- If the paint is old and dry, you can leave the lid off and dispose of in your regular trash.
- If the paint is still a liquid, you can add kitty litter or other absorbent material such as sawdust or mulch and stir it well until it becomes very thick and will not drip or run. Once you’ve done this, you can leave the lid off and dispose of it in your regular trash. Please note: this ONLY APPLIES to latex (water-based) paint.
Computer-related items accepted for recycling are limited to the following:
- Desktop and laptop computers
- Monitors (both LCD and CRT types)
- Computer wiring
- Desktop printers including multi-function printers, or “all in ones”
- Fax machines
- Desktop photocopiers and scanners
- Cell phones